Introduction on Scenery Spots
1.Yucing Temple :
Yucing Temple, located down the hills in Yucing Village of Miaoli City, is one of the most popular and famous temples in the city, mainly worshiping three gods – God Emperor Guansheng, God Emperor of Broad Protection, Emperor of Siming. Since establishment, the temple is dedicated to promotion on social education with the religious mercy in order to open the pathway to awakening and to stabilize social orders with great contributions.
Yucing Park is the recreational garden incorporated with tradition and creativity. There are artificial mountains, flowing springs, bridges and pavilions, making a comfortable and quite space. Each weed and each tree, each brick and each stone have made the Chinese recreational park colorful with deliberation. There are two spots with the most attracting features. One is the Stone Mountain with piling stones, above which stands the statue of armored God Emperor Guansheng, riding on Red Hare and holding Green Dragon Crescent Blade with heroic and bright radiance. Climbing on the stone stairs, you can see the grand views of nearby scenery clearly from high above. The other one is the lake scenery deep inside the park. With willows bending, the classical wooden pavilion, and the old and simple oxcart wheel idling on the bridge above the lake, the scenery shows fun and the civil culture at the same time, presenting the delicate and transparent beauty of Chinese gardens.
It has been nearly 10 decades since establishment. The contents of evolutions and interpretation of fortune slips have been published for many times, describing how the ancestors worshiped God Emperor Guansheng who protected people during cultivation with supreme reputation and miracles while teaching the followers with disciplines of being loyal to the country and friends, being filial to parents and being honorable to oneself. Local worshippers went to Yucing Temple for weddings, funerals, celebration, blessing and etc., asking God for advice and found it useful. There was even the legend that God helped expel disasters and bad luck, making God Emperor Guangsheng the Guardian for most children. The children who were considered with bad faith or temper would be taken to Yucing Temple by their parents who begged God to “adopt” the children for protection and smooth growth, and thus making Yucing Temple one of the most popular and famous temples in Miaoli City.
The engineering of Miaoli Tunnel started on June 25, 1920, with the completion less than a year in 1903. There are three giant words of “Gong,” “Wei” and “Syu” titled by President of Taiwan, Gentarou Kodama, in the North Entrance. After the huge earthquake in 1935, the tunnel was repaired and resumed in February 1938. The North Entrance was beautifully built with red bricks as if it was a castle and the writing of “Gongweisyu” was even painted in gold by Taiwan Railway Station, making it the most beautiful one among the red brick tunnels established during the period of Japan Occupation. It was the only one which was not covered and reestablished with concrete among the titled tunnels of the old mountain line until 1998 when it was abolished. It is a great pity that the upper left corner of the tunnel was destroyed during a collapse and thus fails to preserve with its complete shape.
3.Miaoli Railway Museum
With the full name as Miaoli Railway Train Exhibition Center of Taiwan Railway Administration, it is temporarily operated by the station of Hsinchu and Miaoli sections of Taiwan Railway Administration. The train exhibition area is open for free visits all day, while the other areas require reservation through paper or telephone for one-hour-tours with guides with comprehensive introduction on development of railways and precious historical relics.
The southern-west mountain area of Miaoli City is abundant in acacia confuse and manufacturing choral of acacia confuse was an important industry in early villages for many farmers. Due to the change of needs in life, manufacture of choral dwindled and kilns collapsed one after one gradually and were buried in nowhere. In order to create the scenery features for Miaoli City and preserve the original look of the villages, during the first term of being the mayor of Miaoli City, Bingkun Ciou discovered a kiln by the Mayuan Tunnel in 2001, visited the owner Mr. Hsu for three times and finally got approval of having the kiln being publicly utilized by the City Office. The team from the City Office, working hard on designs and planning, accomplished the establishment of the kiln through traditional approaches in 2003.
The name, Maoli, is translated from the name of the location “Maoli Village” for Taokas of Pinpu Tribe before the Chinese landed for cultivation, with the meaning of “plains” in the language of Taokas. Maoli Village was first grouped by Maolishan which is around the International Theater nowadays, and thus with the name of Maolishan. The mountains of Maolishan are covered with cypresses covering the sky with quiet and mysterious atmosphere. When climbing up the mountains, you can look far for Jiali Mountain in the east and green hills along the Houlong River, surrounded by clear waters and charming mountains. In the evening, lights from households are like shining stars with spectacular view, making this place a perfect place for night view-seeing. At dawn or dusk, several elders can be seen wandering along the trails in the mountain and sitting down for long talks occasionally with ease and relaxing mood.
6.Tang’s Ancestral Hall
Established in 1834, Tang’s Ancestral Hall located on the west side of Wunchang Temple in Jiasheng Village of Miaoli City is the oldest ancestral hall structure in Miaoli City. With complete forms and old but simple elegance, the overall ancestral hall was built with the giant-wood structure of East Guangdong. Refined by masters with colorful painting, it is the most delicate civil traditional structure in Miaoli County. The check fans on the two sides of the main gate are the sculptured and painted woodcrafts. According to the senior of the Tangs, there is great feng shui for Tang’s Ancestral Hall. The base of the ancestral hall is classified as “crab hole” with prosperous water, which symbolize that the offspring of the Tangs will continue with great prosperity.
Confronting with the Ink-stone Mountain and the Pen-rack Mountain, the Tangs are fated to have excellent literate offspring. From the awarding boards hanging up high in the hallway, there were actually excellent offspring from the Tangs since the early Cing Dynasty.
Recommendation For Hiking Route In Miaoli
Hiking Itinerary for SinYing Square Fence
Maolishan Elders’ Center (Start) → Gongweisyu Tunnel → Three Lake Rail → Radio Station Rail → Hundred-year-old Uncle Banyan → Yingtai Pasture (Rest stop) → Goat Cottage Tunnel → Longgang Rail → Maolishan Elders’ Center (Finish)
Hiking Itinerary for Maolishan
Maolishan Elders’ Center → Gongweisyu Tunnel → Three Lake Rail → Guangyin Rail → Sinliang Road → Old Provincial Highway No. 3 → Maoli Hakka Academy (about 7 kilometers in total)
Hiking Itinerary for Ancient Charcoal Kiln
Fonglucyue (Entrance of Radio Station Rail from Three Lake Rail, where cars can be parked along Three Lake Rail) → of Radio Station Rail → Shenglong Pasture → Viewing Pavilion → Banyan of Dong → Ancient Choral Kiln (about 2.6 kilometers for one-way) or heading for National United University along Bajia Rail